Boho Headwrap for Handspun
So recently, I’ve been testing out new fiber, new combos. Seeing what I like. What I don’t like. What I think works for beginner spinners – and what doesn’t.
I was testing this wool and acrylic blend and made a rolag, and spun it up. I made it a double-ply and ended up with about 30 yards of DK-ish weight yarn. And while I liked how it looked, ultimately I didn’t like the blend.
I spun up like a DREAM. But the yarn it created was “grabby.” It kept catching hold of itself. It made hanking it, caking it really put my “String Wrangler” epithet to the test.
But like any handspun, even the ones I don’t like, I’m loathe to just throw it out. there’s always something that can be done with it. This pattern is that.
And honestly, the grabbiness of the yarn actually works in its favor because it helps to hold the headband (headwrap? headscarf?) in place – when so many of these slip right the eff off the back of my head. =(
So, If you’ve got hair = check!
And 30 to 40 yards of handspun = check!
And are willing to crochet? Then this pattern is for you. =)
- 30 – 50 yards of yarn (I used a handspun DK-ish weight)
- Crochet hook of apprpriate size (mine used a F / 3.75 mm)
- Scissors (don’t run with them)
- Yarn needle (or other means of weaving in ends.)
- CH = Chain
- SC = Single Crochet
- TR = Triple Crochet Decrease
Row 1: Ch 145. To make it longer, add multiples of 10 stitches.
Row 2 (foundation): SC in second Ch from loop (counts as “Ch 1, turn, SC” done in subsequent rows), * Ch 10 and skip 9 Ch, SC in the 10th Ch* continue across until you have 5 stitches left. Ch 5, and SC in the first stitch of your chain row. You should have 14 Ch 10 spaces with a single Ch 5 space at the end.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn. SC in first SC, *Ch 10, SC in the middle of the 10 Ch space* continue across until you have 5 stitches left. Ch 5, and SC in SC from previous row.
Repeat for a total of 6 rows.
If you have enough material remaining and so desire….
- Turn your work 90 degrees clockwise, and CH 5 (counts as TR).
- Skip one row, yarn over twice insert hook into next row edge, yarn over and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw thru two loops, yarn over and draw thru two loops (2 remain).
- Skip one row, yarn over twice insert hook into next row edge, yarn over and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw thru two loops, yarn over and draw thru two loops (3 remain).
- Skip one row, yarn over twice insert hook into last row edge, yarn over and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw thru two loops, yarn over and draw thru two loops (4 remain).
- Yarn over and draw thru all remaining loops. 4 TRs made.
- Bind off, and cut yarn. Weave in ends.
Attach yarn to other side and repeat the Triple Crochet Decrease.